Sunday, March 7, 2010

Another month...another year






Although the weather is warming up nicely here, it is not quite warm enough yet for diving but I never turn down the chance to visit either of the seas or to the desert. So this last month I had a lot of travel opportunities. Here are some photos from recent trips to Alexandria and the Sahara Desert...

And so it happens another month has passed...spring has arrived (with temperatures bouncing between mid 70s and mid 80s) with flowers blooming and trees budding...and the anniversary of my move here...it has been one year since I packed as many of my belongings as I could into 3 overstuffed bags and boarded a plane to Egypt. The year has been packed with learning experiences, laughter, sadness, difficulties and joys...but rarely a dull moment :).

I always have a list of topics to write home about...so here are a few to share with those of you that have been faithful in continuing to follow my undisciplined blogging...

I live in an area of the city (Maadi) that has a lot of foreigners (or expats as we are known here). There is a large American population as well as German, French, Italian, British, etc. Because there are so many foreigners in this area, the vendors speak English better and are familiar with the requests for strange items cheetos, dr. pepper, microwave popcorn, poptarts, fuses for convertors; where as in other places in the city a request for these items would just draw blank stares or even frightful looks (unknowing how exactly to respond to these alien words), here in Maadi you are rewarded with a polite smile of understanding and a negative shake of the head, BUT on occasion you are rewarded with even more...the item you are seeking...the small taste of home...the taste of comfort in familiarity. I find it is the small joys in life that make the big obstacles seem smaller.

I have many little places I like to go when I am craving a piece of home. One of them is a little restaurant around the corner from my flat (apartment), Lucille's. It is world famous for having the world's best hamburgers (according to Time magazine). The building is made of concrete as most buildings here and painted a mustard yellow with dark wooden shutters and doors. The neon red Lucille's sign written in a cursive script is the first hint that this restaurant is different from the others that line Street 9. The second hint is the wafting smell of grilled hamburgers, beaconing you to enter the restaurant every time you pass. As you enter, you feel as Lucy must have felt when she entered Narnia for the first time. It is a different world from the chaotic streets of Cairo. Highback dark wooden booths with cushioned seats, wooden tables, and wooden wall paneling decorate the small restaurant immediately giving you the welcoming feel of a diner...and then you realize it is country music playing over the speakers. Now whether you are a country music hater or lover, you should know that music is a huge part of the Egyptian culture whether it is the traditional arabic, modern arabic, or borrowed from western culture, rarely do you ever go anywhere that music is not blaring, but only in Lucille's is it country music. The best part of Lucille's is the food of course ;-). The menu has a plethora of American treats ranging from the world famous burgers, pies, cornbread, and even southern sweet tea. In the end, yes it is just a restaurant...with American prices included, but it is a taste of home on those days when that is just what you need.

In my last blog I wrote that I had been interviewing at a multinational company. Two weeks ago I signed a contract with them and my first unofficial day was today! Because of some paperwork for the work permit (please pray that there are no problems in getting it) my first day in the office will be next Sunday, but I am excited for this new change in my life. My new job is on a different side of town, so I am currently looking for a new flat with the help of some friends. I have until August before my current lease is up, but the commute will be 1.5 hours one direction...maybe I can use this time to study Arabic? :)

If you want to see more photos of my recent adventures...check out this link....Western Sahara Desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment