Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wow...way too long

Okay...okay...I know it has been awhile. That one busy week turned into a crazy month of drama and happenings. Both good and bad. While I can't catch you up on all the happenings, I will at least attempt to pick up from here...

My Arabic classes have been going really well! I am so excited about continuing. My goal is to be at level 5 or 6 by December, and I am already down to just 2 lessons left in level 2, just 6 weeks into class (I meet 2 times a week)! My Arabic has improved so much that I notice even a difference on the street. People respect you more, and it is a lot easier to avoid getting lost.

My friend Joanna came to visit for about 10 days, and we had a ton of fun traversing the city and the Sinai Pen. I think she may have experienced more of life on this side of the ocean than she was planning, but it was great having her here! God knows what you need when you need it, and He sent her at the right time.

During Joanna's visit we went to Dahab for 3-4 days (one night we spend climbing Gebel Moses- moses's mountain). It is a quaint little village on the Sinai pen, situated between the mountains and the Red Sea. On clear days you can see the mountains in Saudi Arabia on the other side. Joanna quickly saw why I have fallen in love with this little resort. Usually I travel with small groups when I go, this is the same place I go scuba diving, but this time it was just Joanna and I. It was a very relaxing weekend, laying on the beach chairs, reading Harry Potter (book 4) and absorbing as much free vitamin D as we could :-).

Summertime is flying by here. Hard to believe the hottest part is already gone (temps of 110 everyday almost). In just over 5 months from now I will be home for Christmas and my little bro's wedding. I have officially been here longer this time than I ever have been before. And everyday Egypt becomes more like home.

Tonight one of my roommates and I are going out to Chili's for dinner, on a boat on the river. It is one of her last nights here in Egypt, so we are celebrating her making it one year and still maintaining sanity and living. I am sad to see her leave. In such a short time we have become good friends. I look forward to Christmastime in hopes I can visit her in Germany on my way home.

My new roommate will move in on Sunday. I am excited because it is a girl I met almost 2 years ago when I was here before. She is Italian and always tons of fun! And a good cook too!

I know I need to be more diligent about writing updates, stories, adventures, and customs from here. Hopefully this next month is a little less dramatic, and I will get a chance to write more. :-)

New pics to follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment