Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ramadan...

Time has flown again, my visa expired a few days ago...means I have officially been here 6 months! Wow! Just a little over 15 weeks until I will be home for Christmas! That is really crazy to think about now!

The summertime here was full of visitors :-) Yipeee! And good times with friends! I have two new roommates since my last blog! Vale- an Italian girl working here in Cairo, we have known each other for about 2 years now, and Kayla- an American girl who just arrived in Cairo a few weeks ago to study for a semester (the same thing I did 2 years ago). Both of them a fabulous ladies, and we have a lot of fun and laughs!
Now that summer has ended, work has resumed back to its normal pace. I am writing a piece to be published in our annual journal called "The Chronicles". It is based on a 5 part interview I had last spring with a Dr. here in Cairo. I am excited to see its completion! I will also be conducting a "round-table" discussion or conference on microfinance or tourism here in Egypt sometime this fall, as well as presenting my research topic of microfinance to a group of scholars in late November. So a lot of work to come :-), which is exciting and challenging for me!

Arabic class is still going well! I am so happy with the progress I have made in the 3 months! I can understand so much more of what is being said and am able to communicate very very brokenly in conversation (I know about 80 verbs, past, present, present continuous, and future). The plan is to be able to communicate clearly in conversation by December! So far I am on track for this! More and more of my Egyptian friends are resorting to having at least one conversation completely in Arabic when I meet them :-), this is good as it forces me to practice and learn new vocab :-). Because of this I learned the verb for diving :-) so now I can talk in arabic about my trips to the Red Sea!

Ramadan began here on August 22. It is the month that Muslims believe the Qu'ran came to the prophet Muhammed. Muslims spend the month (lunar month) fasting from sunup (here around 4 am) to sundown (6:30ish), no food or drink (including water) during daylight. They spend the month reevaluating their life, trying to live in the way they know is right, helping the poor, visiting the sick, etc. Living in a city of 20 million, where 90% of the population is fasting, creates many interesting dynamics. The entire city changes for the month. Colorful lights are strung on houses, mosques, and buildings (reminds me of Christmastime), Ramadan lamps are hung from awnings, and there is a sense of celebration as the month begins. Work and class schedules are adjusted for the month. Each night families and friends gather to break fast together with Iftar (breakfast). So, normally people are released from work between 2:30-3:00 to prepare the evening feast. Sohour, the second meal of the night, is usually served around 2:30 am, but can start as early as 11 pm. So a typical schedule during Ramadan looks a little like this...

8:00 wake up and head to work
9:00-10:00 arrive at work (chat with friends, check email, etc and start real work around 11)
11:30ish 2nd prayer of the day
2:30-3:00 begin the long drive home (traffic is always bad when the entire city is on the same schedule)
3:30ish 3rd prayer of the day
6:30 Prayers then IFTAR! After fasting all day and eating a big meal, many people sleep for an hour or so to prepare for a night out with friends
8:00-9:30 5th prayer of day (they read the entire Qu'ran during the month of Ramadan, so each night a section of the Qu'ran is read over speakers across the city)
10:00 head out to hang out with friends and share Sohour together
3:30 head home if out with friends
4:00ish 1st prayer of day then head to bed

Yeah if you do math, it means little sleep and lots of time with friends! Even for those not celebrating Ramadan everyone seems to get caught up in the schedule. haha like my roommates and I went to Cinnabon (which closes at 2 am during Ramadan) down the street from our flat at 1:00am last night for a late night sandwich and cinnamonrolls! Oh I will miss the late night openess of everything :-)! I can say these last few weeks I still am learning so much about this culture. Life here is always an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment